As the smartphone industry continues to evolve, manufacturers are constantly pushing the boundaries of what a mobile device can do. With each new generation of handsets, there are new features and capabilities that make them even more powerful and useful.
In the past few years, we have seen an increase in the number of features that are available on smartphones, such as augmented reality, facial recognition, and artificial intelligence.
As we look to the future, we can expect to see even more breakthroughs in the smartphone industry. Here are some of the trends that we can expect to see in 2023 and beyond.
1. 5G Network Connectivity – With 5G networks becoming more widely available, we can expect to see more phones that are 5G compatible. This will enable faster download and upload speeds, as well as improved coverage and reliability.
2. Foldable Phones – Foldable phones are becoming increasingly popular, and we can expect to see even more of them in the near future. These devices offer a larger screen size and more flexibility than traditional smartphones, making them ideal for multitasking and content consumption.
3. Improved Camera Quality – Smartphone cameras have come a long way in recent years. Manufacturers are now creating phones with increasingly better cameras, allowing users to take high-quality photos and videos. In 2023, we can expect cameraphones to perform even better in low-light conditions both in shooting stills and recording videos. For flagship-level and premium handset models, HDR for videos will look more pleasing both using the front-facing shooter and the main camera at the back. Greater stability when recording videos, improved cinematic mode, and better outputs when using enhanced telephoto zoom can also be expected.
4. Augmented Reality – Augmented reality (AR) is becoming more common on smartphones and is expected to be a major trend in the next few years. AR-enabled apps and games are already being used to enhance user experience, and we can expect to see even more of them in the near future or when Metaverse finally takes off and becomes more popular around the globe.
5. Artificial Intelligence – Smartphones are becoming smarter and more capable of completing tasks on their own. Artificial intelligence is being used to process data and respond to commands, making smartphones more efficient, more location aware, and easier to use.
6. Longer Battery Life – Smartphone batteries are becoming more efficient, allowing them to last longer on a single charge. We can expect to see even longer battery life in the near future, allowing for more time to be spent using the device without having to worry about running out of power. We can expect 5,000 mAh Li-Po battery packs to become the bare minimum in midrange and premium handset models.
7. Increased Storage Space – Smartphones are becoming more powerful and are being used to store more and more data. As a result, manufacturers are creating phones with increased storage space to accommodate the ever-growing data needs of users. 128GB could become the bare minimum in midrange models with more handset brands giving 1TB storage space to their flagship releases.
8. Ultra-Fast Charging – In 2023, we will finally see more smartphones that can be charged 100% or fully from 0% in less than 15 minutes. Some models may even be fully charged in less than 10 minutes, which should greatly improve the productivity of mobile users who use their devices for school or work.
These are just a few of the trends that we can expect to see in the smartphone industry over the next few years, starting in 2023. In fact, some of these can already be experienced on some flagship phones released in 2022.
Smartphone Sustainability Trends
One thing, though, that I want to highlight is the Sustainability trend, which we should start to see soon in the smartphone industry.
The world has seen a rapid increase in smartphone use over the past decade. With more than 4.7 billion smartphones in use worldwide, it’s no surprise that their environmental impact is becoming a major concern. Smartphone sustainability is an increasingly important topic, and there are several steps that manufacturers and users can take to reduce this impact.
One of the most important steps to improving smartphone sustainability is to increase the energy efficiency of the devices. Manufacturers have been working hard to make their devices more energy-efficient, and this has had a positive effect on the environment. For example, in 2019, the average power consumption of a smartphone was estimated to be around 3.7 watts, which is a significant reduction from the 10-12 watts consumed by devices in 2011.
The materials used to make smartphones also have an impact on their sustainability. Many manufacturers are now starting to use more sustainable materials such as recycled plastic and bamboo. This reduces the amount of waste created by the production of smartphones, and also reduces the amount of resources needed to produce them.
Finally, users can take steps to help improve the sustainability of their smartphones. One way to do this is to use their device for longer, instead of upgrading to a new model every year or two. Additionally, users can also recycle their old devices or donate them to charitable organizations.
The world of smartphone sustainability is evolving quickly, and manufacturers and users alike need to take steps to reduce the environmental impact of these devices. By focusing on energy efficiency, sustainable materials, and extending the life of devices, we can all help to reduce the environmental impact of smartphones.